Dec 19, 2013, 11:08 PM EST
Well, for your sake, I certainly hope you didn’t change the channel or leave the Wells Fargo Center after the second period of Thursday night’s Flyers game. If you did, you’re probably feeling pretty salty right about now because you missed the rest of a game we’re going to be talking about for a while.
The Flyers scored five third period goals – the last three of which came in the final 4 minutes and 39 seconds of regulation – to stun the Blue Jackets and skate away with an improbable 5-4 victory to extend their home winning streak to eight games
[Daily News' Friday back cover: Santa Claude!]
Down 3-0 after two lackluster periods, the Flyers got goals from Jake Voracek and Braydon Coburn early in the third to get within one at 3-2. But things looked bleak when the Blue Jackets’ Blake Comeau scored just over 10 minutes left in the period to give his team a 4-2 lead.
But an Erik Gustaffson goal with 4 minutes, 39 seconds left got the Orange and Black back within a goal at 4-3.
That’s when the Claude Giroux show started.
His diving poke of a rebound off a Voracek shot to things up with 3 minutes, 36 seconds left was pretty sweet but the capper was Giroux’s ridiculous, no-look backhander from a near-impossible angle that finally gave the Flyers the lead and put them on top for good.
Sick. Just sick. I can’t think of any other adjective to describe it. That’s going near the top of an already lengthy career-highlight list for the captain.
Not a bad way to score your 100th career goal, eh?
Seriously, that’s one of the most unreal goals you’ll ever see. While being harassed by the Columbus defenseman, Giroux was somehow able gain possession of the puck and have the strength to lift the puck top-shelf where momma hides all the Christmas presents and over the glove of Columbus netminder Curtis McElhinney for the goal.
It’s ok, Curtis. You never had a chance anyway.
The question now is could this be the start of the Giroux scoring tear Flyer fans have been waiting for? The next few games will be telling.
What’s for certain is that these two division foes will meet again Saturday evening in Columbus. Let’s just say I’m looking a whole lot more forward to that one now than I was earlier on Thursday.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return