Oct 1, 2012, 1:06 PM EST
The first shot you’ll see in Comcast Sportsnet’s 15th anniversary special is of Eric Lindros barreling to the net, falling into the ice and celebrating a goal.
The next shot you’ll see if also of Lindros on the ice — just for a different reason.
And, that more or less, is what I found most enjoyable of the trip down memory lane that airs tonight at 10:30 p.m. There have been plenty of bright spots and just as many low points, and they’re all included.
I was fortunate enough to get some early peaks at the show, and time appears to have healed most (though not all) wounds. Maybe that why even the traditionally “negative” moments of town’s recent history are capable of being recalled in a way that still brings a smile to your face. I’ve always believed that in this outrageous and sometimes inexplicable thing we do called “fandom,” the individual wins and the losses sort mean less than the experience as a whole.
Well, that’s what you’ll get tonight should you choose to turn in — the last 15 years of Philadelphia sports, as narrated by the anchors, announcers and even players that were there. I won’t spoil too much, but seeing footage of a Young James paired with the shortstop’s of words and thoughts in the present day, as he walks you through the rise of the 2008 World Champions (“We watched a young slugger turn into a Big Piece,” Rollins says), it’s enough to get you to wax immediately nostalgic for a past that wasn’t all that long ago.
But perhaps the best part of the show are the things you may not remember. (I literally laughed out loud watching Hugh Douglas drive Jim Miller to the turf before exclaiming after the game: “I jacked his ass up!”)
So tune in at 10:30 p.m. to hear from the people who have covered, announced and even participated in the last 15 years of Philadelphia sports.
You’ll see some things you didn’t remember. You’ll see other things you wish you didn’t remember. And you’ll see even more that you’ll never forget.
Follow The700Level on Facebook
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return