Dec 21, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
The debut episode of 24/7 Flyers/Rangers: Road to the NHL Winter Classic was wildly entertaining for those of us who follow the team on a regular basis. Not only were we treated to some great on-ice hockey moments, but the real payoff was seeing some of the behind the scenes footage of guys like Peter Laviolette and inside the team’s locker room.
The Flyers were clearly pitted as the team riding high on a winning streak in episode one, despite Giroux going down with an injury, while the Rangers were given the losers trying to turn things around role.
So what has happened since the last episode that we can expect to see tonight?
I’m going to assume that the best moments from tonight’s episode will once again be something that takes place behind the scenes that we don’t usually get to see during game action.
Following last week’s episode, the Flyers kicked ass on the road in Montreal, but also found out that Chris Pronger would be out for the entire season. Then they came home on Saturday and had their asses handed to them by the Boston Bruins. Not only did they get crushed, but there was also the scary moment when Sean Couturier got drilled in the head with a puck. With Pronger and Giroux already suffering head injuries, the seriousness of head trauma could certainly be a storyline the HBO editors could decide to play up, but would that make for the most entertaining television? It is also more of an overarching NHL/sports issue while the series is supposed to be focusing on the build up to one special game on January 2nd.
Monday night’s shootout loss in Denver could provide some exciting footage of the crazy skill and stick work displayed by both sides. Perhaps some fun on-the-road footage could be in order. Does Ilya Bryzgalov sleep with a stuffed animal after a loss? Maybe HBO can find out.
The construction of the ice rink at Citizens Bank Park kicked off on Monday as well, so perhaps we’ll get some behind the scenes footage of that process.
As for the Rangers, they got picked apart by St. Louis in the first game since the debut episode aired, then beat Phoenix and New Jersey, all three games coming on the road (although Jersey isn’t exactly far from home for them).
What are you hoping to see out of episode 2 this evening? And don’t forget, we’ll be LIVE BLOGGING it right here. So come back following the Flyers game tonight and flip over to HBO and chat with us.
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return