Apr 2, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
While the Flyers are still believed to be exploring a trade
for San Jose’s Ryan Clowe, Paul Holmgren has already pulled off one notable
move before the deadline, sending Harry Zolnierczyk to Anaheim in exchange for
Jay Rosehill. At first the move seemed like a bit of a head-scratcher, but
there was most certainly a method to the madness.
Since Jake Voracek’s fighting career is likely over – at
least for the rest of this season – the Flyers needed a tough guy to prevent
opposing players from bludgeoning Claude Giroux, or any of their players
really. Specifically they needed a “legitimate NHL heavyweight” as Tim Panaccio
The 6-foot-3, 216-pound Rosehill
replaces Jody Shelley as the only enforcer on the Flyers’ roster. Shelley is
recovering from hip surgery. Sestito was waived last month and claimed by
It’s a little unusual to look at a
Flyers roster without a true heavyweight, no?
Unless you consider Jakub Voracek
that, as he stood up for Claude Giroux in taking on Washington’s Steve Oleksy
during Sunday’s 5-4 Flyer overtime win.
“It’s a little different,” Rosehill
said. “I think they got a lot of guys on this team that are playing right now
who are tough and can handle things. I know they like to have a few guys out
there who can do that thing. That’s kind of always been their tradition here.
I’m happy to be here and be one of those guys.”
Sure, toughs like Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, and Zac
Rinaldo are always willing to drop the gloves, but then that’s taking those
guys off the ice sometimes in situations where the Flyers might not want to. In
that sense Rosehill is a bit more expendable, nor do any of those other players
have quite as imposing of a presence. Don’t let the name fool you.
Harry Z was a nice try-hard with some upside, but
ultimately proved to be expendable as well.
Rosehill’s first game in Orange & Black is expected to
be on Thursday against the Toronto Maple Leafs, the only team he’s played for
at the NHL level. Maybe he’d like to get reacquainted with one or two old
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money