Feb 13, 2012, 12:55 AM EST
For the second consecutive weekend, the Flyers played a packed schedule yet will head into Monday without a single point to show for it. Their effort against the Detroit Red Wings wasn’t enough to keep them from tying the NHL’s mark for consecutive home wins, which is now jointly held at 20 by this Detroit team, the ’74-’75 Flyers, and the ’29-’30 Montreal Canadiens. It wasn’t enough to help us forget a seven-game losing streak to the New York Rangers. But it wasn’t that bad overall, either.
The play on special teams? Yeah, that was pretty awful. Again.
After giving up three power play goals on seven opportunities to the Rangers on Saturday, the Flyers allowed another two on the man advantage Sunday night to the Red Wings. To top it off, they didn’t score a power play goal of their own in either contest, and haven’t in their past four games after going six straight with one.
Special team were the difference in this one. The Flyers are currently lost in their efforts to tie up sticks, clear screens, and break passing lanes when down a man, and teams are salivating at the common site of a Philadelphia player on his way to the box. The coaches have their work cut out for them, but fortunately a few days to work on things.
Brayden Schenn led the way on the score sheet, notching his first ever two-goal game. He’s been on fire lately, making the most of some loose pucks around the net.
Hard not to credit Red Wings goalie Joey MacDonald with at least one of the assists on Sunday night, and a subpar effort on the second. MacDonald flubbed a pass from behind his net, which was stolen by Danny Briere and passed to a wide open Schenn in front of a wide open net. That goal tied the game after Niklas Kronwall had opened the scoring on a first period power play, and Schenn would score again to get things started in the second. He now has eight on the season.
Similar to the Rangers though, the Red Wings would quickly answer each Flyers goal from the second period on. Three minutes after Schenn scored the go-ahead in the second, Pavel Datsyuk put home a power play equalizer. Max Talbot then scored his 14th of the season, only to have Henrik Zetterberg answer two minutes laster. Johan Franzen put the Red Wings ahead for good in the third period.
Bob took both losses on the weekend, making a few very good saves but otherwise falling under the “unremarkable” mantle. Hard to hang the losses on him with so many power play goals factoring in.
Max Talbot’s goal set a career high, 14. Wayne Simmonds also raised his career mark this week.
The Red Wings wore patches in remembrance of the Lokomotiv players and coaches who died in their team’s plane crash last fall. The initials Brad McCrimmon, well known as both a Flyer and a Red Wing, Ruslan Salei, and Stefan Liv appeared on the players shoulders. Those jerseys, as well as the ones worn by the Flyers, will be auctioned off, with the proceeds going to the families of those three players.
The Flyers are mercifully off until Thursday, when they’ll host the Buffalo Sabres and try to reverse their trend of losing at home. On Saturday, the Penguins will be in town before the Flyers go on the road for four straight. With five of the last six games ending in L’s, we’re grateful for a few nights off from each other, but optimistic there are points to be had in the coming week.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return