Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 AM EST
Rivalries ebb and flow, peak and valley over time. Sometimes one team falls off for a long enough period that the general dislike is still there, but there’s just something less vitriolic about each meeting.
In the the late 90s and early 2000s, it was the Devils as the Flyers’ chief antagonist. Since the ’04-’05 lockout, it’s been the Penguins. And, really, after Eric Lindros flattened Mark Messier and company in ’97 Eastern Finals, the Flyers’ rivalry with the Rangers had trended more towards one of those valleys. Don’t get me wrong, no one started liking the Rangers all of a sudden, but the passion for the rivalry had waned for some, if not many.
That said, it doesn’t take much for one of these long-standing feuds to get reignited. In fact, getting waxed 0-6 in a regular season and losing a Winter Classic at home just might do the trick. It seems to have for coach Peter Laviolette.
Lavy, like you, can’t believe the Flyers were unable to take even one game off the Rangers this season. In part one of his offseason mailbag, he answers a fan question “the biggest surprise on the season” for him:
It’s worth noting that outside of two to three occasions in which the Flyers clearly couldn’t hang, including those back-to-back weekend afternooners on Feb. 5 and Feb. 11, they skated with the Rangers and could have, perhaps should have, split that season series if a few extra bounces gone their way. Without dispute, they could have at least taken a game (see: Winter Classic).
The histrionics of this year’s first round series against the Penguins aside, if you can manage to put them aside, doesn’t it feel good to really passionately dislike the Rangers? If only it didn’t have to take a season sweep to get the fire burning once again.
Unrelated Note: The Flyers’ stylize Lavy’s nickname as “Lavi.” Your thoughts.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages