May 15, 2008, 5:11 PM EST
Good news from the Winnipeg Sun greets us this evening:
The Philadelphia Flyers certainly hope so.
Down 3-0 in their Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh
Penguins and heading into Game 4 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia
tonight, the Flyers will attempt to become just the third team in NHL
history to come back from such a post-season deficit to win a playoff
In 1942, the Maple Leafs became the first
team to accomplish the feat, clawing their way back from three games
down to dispose of the Detroit Red Wings.
In 1975, some 33 years later, the New York Islanders did it, overcoming the steep odds against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
And 33 plus 1975 is… 2008. So there you have it. Math has proven that not only will the Flyers win tonight, but also the next three games. I also like that only two teams ever choking away a 3-0 conference finals lead, and the Penguins are one of them. I don’t know what all the doom and gloom and talk of 100 consecutive seasons without a championship is about. I say the stars are aligned (no Dallas-related pun intended.; those guys are done).
In all seriousness, we know it’s do or die time, game 4 is game 7, the separator of men, boys, and assorted other win or go home clichés.
John Stevens has shaken up the top three lines and made a scratch/substitution on the fourth in the hopes of sparking an offense that has been muted so far this series. Kimmo remains sidelined for the foreseeable future, and Braydon Coburn will be trying to make out the shapes on the ice from the owner’s suite. But despite the new faces lining up alongside each other and the seemingly mistake-free hockey Pens have been playing for much of the first three games, something tells me the Flyers win this one. All season long, the they’ve surged, then slumped, only to win again when they’re counted out. Everyone is officially calling their season over at this point, so they’re due for that unexpected W.
No matter what happens though, I know the crowd will support them tonight, and there will be a standing O when there’s no time left on the clock.
|mike on Jerry Jones doesn’t hire a GM…|
|Joshua Sophy on Video: Andre Iguodala almost d…|
|James on Comment of the week sponsored…|
|solidsender on Comment of the week sponsored…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages