May 15, 2008, 5:11 PM EDT
Good news from the Winnipeg Sun greets us this evening:
The Philadelphia Flyers certainly hope so.
Down 3-0 in their Eastern Conference final against the Pittsburgh
Penguins and heading into Game 4 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia
tonight, the Flyers will attempt to become just the third team in NHL
history to come back from such a post-season deficit to win a playoff
In 1942, the Maple Leafs became the first
team to accomplish the feat, clawing their way back from three games
down to dispose of the Detroit Red Wings.
In 1975, some 33 years later, the New York Islanders did it, overcoming the steep odds against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
And 33 plus 1975 is… 2008. So there you have it. Math has proven that not only will the Flyers win tonight, but also the next three games. I also like that only two teams ever choking away a 3-0 conference finals lead, and the Penguins are one of them. I don’t know what all the doom and gloom and talk of 100 consecutive seasons without a championship is about. I say the stars are aligned (no Dallas-related pun intended.; those guys are done).
In all seriousness, we know it’s do or die time, game 4 is game 7, the separator of men, boys, and assorted other win or go home clichés.
John Stevens has shaken up the top three lines and made a scratch/substitution on the fourth in the hopes of sparking an offense that has been muted so far this series. Kimmo remains sidelined for the foreseeable future, and Braydon Coburn will be trying to make out the shapes on the ice from the owner’s suite. But despite the new faces lining up alongside each other and the seemingly mistake-free hockey Pens have been playing for much of the first three games, something tells me the Flyers win this one. All season long, the they’ve surged, then slumped, only to win again when they’re counted out. Everyone is officially calling their season over at this point, so they’re due for that unexpected W.
No matter what happens though, I know the crowd will support them tonight, and there will be a standing O when there’s no time left on the clock.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money