Jan 20, 2009, 5:29 PM EDT
Just a few weeks ago, Philly fans had tonight's basketball contest with the Memphis Grizzlies highlighted as a game to look forward to due to a certain scorer coming back to face the team he made his bones with for all of those years. Well, the Allen Iverson in Memphis experiment was even more short-lived than any hater A.I. hater could have expected. Instead of welcoming back the Answer to the Wachovia Center this evening, the Philly faithful will get the chance to watch Mike Conley, O.J. Mayo, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, and Pau Gasol's younger brother take on the red hot Sixers team coming off a last second victory over the fierce Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday.
Back to Iverson for a minute, it looks like the Knicks — the team most people guessed A.I. would end up with — appear to be passing on bringing Bubba Chuck to New York to entertain their fans for the rest of a season.
“We’re not going to be making additions at this time to our team,” [Donnie Walsh]
said. “So I guess that ends the speculation about Allen Iverson. It
really has nothing to do with Allen Iverson. It’s just a stage that our
team is in right now: what we’ve been trying to do since we got here in
building a team for the future. It did get interesting for a while
because Allen’s a great player, has always been a great player.
The Iverson watch will surely continue in Philadelphia. Could A.I. be eating at Houlihan's and getting kicked out of the Trop on a regular basis before we know it? Could be interesting.
As for the Sixers, it should be interesting to see how Elton Brand responds to his big game on Wednesday when he saw the court for much more time than he has all season. He didn't just get big minutes, he put up big numbers. Can the million dollar man put in back to back big games?
Tip is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|The Green Hornet on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money