Sep 23, 2009, 3:55 PM EST
The Sixers opened up the Wachovia Center this afternoon and welcomed all fans to come watch as the 2009-2010 jersey's were unveiled. As Elton Brand put it, "It's about tradition." Sixers GM Ed Stefanksi spoke about the great history behind the iconic logo that they're returning to, bringing up legendary players who sported similar uniforms in the past — guys like Wilt Chamberlain, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham, Moses Malone, Julius Erving, and Charles Barkley.
Thaddeus Young and Elton Brand walked the runway down the steps and onto the stage modeling the new unis. I have to say I'm partial to the red road versions myself. After Thad and Elton spoke, they took the time to give autographs to any fan who purchased some Sixers gear from the team store. I just so happened to have bought myself a lid. [photos below + Sixers dancers]
Not being a jersey-wearer myself, I picked up an all white 76ers cap that I thought would make for a good backdrop against the black sharpies. Thad and Elton were yucking it up with fans and seemed generally excited to be there, even taking photos with kids (and grown men) who asked for a shot.
My souvenir autographed hat.
One interesting note from the day: Don't be shocked if the uniforms you saw today receive a tweak either later in the season or before the start of the 2010-2011 campaign. From someone with the Sixers who I talked to, there may be a minor tweak to the coloring of the "SIXERS" font and numbering, perhaps an outline of some sort. Nothing confirmed but I'd expect the current iteration to be slightly different down the road.
Oh, and these lovely ladies were all smiles.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return