Feb 6, 2012, 1:32 AM EST
Watching Eli Manning be crowned Super Bowl MVP is clearly not how you wanted the 2011 NFL season to come to an end, but at least the game against the Patriots itself was pretty damn entertaining, making for an enjoyable final night of football. Here are a few of the things we liked about this year’s Super Bowl (and some we didn’t), from our party food, the entertaining commercials, and Bill Bellichick to Madonna, LMFAO, and the dog with sneakers on.
WHAT WE LIKED
FOOD: Primo’s Hoagies with some Herr’s kettle cooked chips and some suicide chicken wings from Blarney Stone were the perfect mix of gluttony. Right up there with perfectly cooked ribeye in my “last supper” meals. Some times there’s just nothing like a good Italian hoagie.
One of our favorites of the night was the Volkswagen overweight dog bit that led into a rehash of last year’s Darth Vader kid. We’re a sucker for Star Wars.
Aside from the Bud Light Platinum spots, I thought Budweiser did a nice job with their throwback/Americana spots. It’s also crazy to imagine that it was illegal to purchase Budweiser for 13 years which we learned in their “Return of the King” spot.
The NFL spot (“Timeline”) was awesome per usual:
Acura breaking out Seinfeld and the Soup Nazi was pretty solid. Plus that car just looks badass. We could do without ever having to see Jay Leno, however.
As for car commercials, I also kinda liked Audi‘s “Vampire Party” spot. But that could have something to do with the fact I fail to see any movie ever that has vampires in it.
And then there was the Fiat “500 Abarth” spot. Lord. It certainly got our attention and then the go-kart looking car looked pretty fun. Curious as to what the nice lady was saying? Jalopnik can help you translate.
We also kind of enjoyed the Honda CR-V “Ferris Buehler” spot which many seemed to hate. Thought it was quite entertaining myself.
How about the Hyundai‘s “All For One” spot featuring the Rocky Theme Song? We joked that Rocky would never buy a foreign car (except for a Ferrari or a Maserati, which are Italian and there for not foreign to the Stallion) but thought the commercial worked for them.
Others receiving mention: I kind of enjoyed the Samsung Galaxy “Thing Called Love” spot featuring “The Darkness” even if a phone with a pen seems like a truly awful idea. Catchy tune made for a catch commercial.
Also well done: The Best Buy spot showing off technology inovators.
MOVIES WE MIGHT MAYBE PAY TO SEE AT A THEATRE
John Carter, Act of Valor
THINGS WE DIDN’T LIKE
Doritos. GoDaddy.com. That kid who had to pee. The dog “Quigley” with the sneakers, but we did enjoy his DeSean Jackson-style showboating.
WHERE IT WENT WRONG FOR NEW ENGLAND
Aside from Tom Brady’s decision to throw a toss up ball that was eventually intercepted by the Giants, the other cringe-worthy play for the Pats and their fans had to be Wes Welker’s drop late in the fourth. The reaction of the Patriots’ players on the bench says it all.
HALF TIME SHOW
I actually kind of enjoyed Madonna’s half time effort. Aside from the strange Scott Hartnell-looking dude bouncing on a high wire, it seemed like a solid show. People complain that she wasn’t really singing, but who really sings at these things? Is that make or break? Madonna has some classic tunes that I found to be enjoyable for a few minutes between football. Then there are those LMFAO dudes. I have a feeling if I knew anything at all about them, I’d hate them, but I don’t, so I find them fairly entertaining. Plus, that one song they have is always kind of fun to hear and Madonna even did the Shufflin’ Dance with them. And M.I.A. flipped off the cameras, which makes the whole thing edgier!
What’d you enjoy about Sunday night? Any good party setups? Foodie favorites? Commercials you loved/hated?
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages