Jun 13, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
ARDMORE, Pa. — Earlier this afternoon, I extolled the virtues of 1971 U.S. Open champ Lee Trevino and suggested we all get “What Would Lee Do?” bracelets.
Honestly, the man lights up any room he walks into and is one of those people with a unique and compelling gift for storytelling. He’s also just really goddamn funny.
Which brings us back to what he did during the playoff of his 1971 Open win at Merion over Jack Nicklaus. Earlier that week, during a practice round, Trevino posed for the picture above, holding a rubber snake and hatchet.
When the playoff started, Trevino still had the snake in his bag, and tossed it to Nicklaus on the first tee, terrifying a woman behind him.
Trevino, now 73, went on to win the playoff and was asked on Tuesday, while back at Merion for the U.S. Open champions dinner, “What ever happened to the snake?”
Q. Lee, do you still have the snake? It’s kind of like Hogan’s 1-iron.
LEE TREVINO: It died. It’s been 42 years ago. No snakes live 42 years.
(Laughter.) Come on, man. Where the hell — what did they teach you in journalism school? Not about snakes, right?
Q. What did you do with it?
LEE TREVINO: It died.
R.I.P. / W.W.L.T.D.
|mslavick on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|Jim on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|philsoc8 on Yeah, the Union should’v…|
|oshihidra on Yeah, the Union should’v…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return