Jun 17, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Philly sports fans have long been considered innovators, but Sergio Garcia is not impressed.
Garcia had a long weekend at Merion Golf Club, finishing at 15-over for the U.S. Open. Lucky for him nobody is going to remember what he shot this year. His 2013 Open experience will be all about the amount of heckling he had to put up with.
The most notable example was one spectator yelling, “Fried chicken,” as Garcia got set to tee off, a reference to a remark he made about Tiger Woods. The NBC broadcast also reported instances where police asked the Spanish golfer if he wanted hecklers removed, but the trooper that he is, Garcia declined citing that it would only make things worse.
[ For all of The700Level's coverage of the 2013 U.S. Open click here ]
So I guess you could say he did a good job tuning it out, because let’s face it, he probably could’ve shot that +15 if there wasn’t another soul at the course. You folks must be losing your edge though, because Garcia didn’t seem to think the quality of heckling was very good. Per our own Nick Menta:
One reporter asked Garcia’s thoughts of Philadelphia and its fans.
“Good, good. Very good, yeah. They’ve been good,” he said.
Another reporter asked him about the heckler and whether he had prepared himself for that kind of response this week.
“Yeah, I think it was a possibility,” he said. “Like I said on the first day, for the most part [the fans] have been very good. Obviously there’s a little group, they’re trying to be funny and stand out. They shout a little bit louder than the rest.
“You know the only thing I have to say is that they’re not very — how you say — like, you know, they’re very common. They’re not very creative.”
That same reporter asked if they, the hecklers, followed him at all. It was the third straight question about the topic.
Garcia responded to the question as he began walking away.
“I think so,” he said, as casually he could. “I don’t know.”
Philly fans have been called a lot of things, but ordinary hecklers might be the worst.
Nice attempt by Sergio to downplay the story. I’m sure regardless of what he says it was a huge distraction, and if it did get to him, he seemed determined not to admit it.
|Momby on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|Jay D on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|willh888 on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|galasso2586 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return