Jun 3, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The Philadelphia area is bracing for the craziness that next week’s U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club will bring to the region and with the small size of the course and available area surrounding it in Ardmore, parking and transportation is going to be a big issue. There are going to be all sorts of road closures in the area so don’t even try driving down Haverford Ave.
[More coverage of the 2013 U.S. Open at Merion here]
The main part of the plan calls for public parking at Rose Tree Park at the intersection of the Route 1/Media Bypass and Route 252 and at PPL Park in Chester. The parking is free at those locations and the USGA will provide free air conditioned shuttles to the main gate at Merion Golf Club.
“They had to have those remote parking spaces within a distance that people could commute to, but far enough away to alleviate traffic woes here,” Viola said. “They (the USGA officials) found the locations, not us. Then they came to us to make sure it would work.”
If you’re from the area, you obviously know Rose Tree Park and PPL Park aren’t exactly a quick shuttle ride away. You’re going to have to plan accordingly.
Friend of the Level Tom G. sent along this photo of the cavalcade of Mercedes-Benz limo vans readying for the event next week over in Wayne. Tom will also be contributing some golf coverage for us next week, so keep an eye out for that.
Have a unique U.S. Open story/photo/video of your own that you think others would like to see? Shoot us an email at the700Level at gmail.
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|AJockStrapFeely on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages