Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
We’re excited to team up with Major League Bocce to play in their fall league in the coming weeks with games taking place right in the heart of Center City. Not only will The700Level have our own team playing in the league, but we’ll also be running a photo contest for one winner and a friend to actually be our teammates and play all season for free.
We’ll be kicking things off at a happy hour with Major League Bocce a week from today — Thursday, September 27th — at the Fieldhouse by the Convention Center with specials from Major League Bocce’s official beer sponsor, Dogfish Head Brewery — $4 Punkin’ Ale and 60 Minute IPA drafts. The Fieldhouse is where the fall league games will be played and you can get a chance to see how the indoor bocce courts inside of a bar work. Hint: they’re right next to the bar. And you’re encouraged to come out on Thursday and meet some of the Level contributors and buy me as many Punkin’ Ales as I can drink. Seriously, come out and have a few cold ones and lament the death of the 2012 Phillies with us.
Show us Your Balls and Beers Photo Contest
You obviously like sports if you’re reading this and many of you probably like drinking as well. The700Level and Major League Bocce want YOU to send us your favorite photo involving Major League Bocce’s two favorite things: sports and drinking. Send us photos of you tossing back a few cold ones while engaging in an athletic activity, preferably centered around balls. You can be watching the game or playing in the game – choice is yours! Submit the winning photo which we’ll select based on our own criteria and you and a friend will win a FREE spot on The700Level bocce team this fall with Major League Bocce! All photos will get a posting on The700Level Facebook fan page, so keep ‘em decent. PLUS everyone who enters, will automatically receive $5 off their bocce registration this fall. Show us your inner artiste.
Here’s a shot I took prior to a Union game earlier in the year that would make for a solid entry:
For those of you who are uninformed about what exactly bocce entails, it’s actually a very physically grueling sport. Okay, that’s a lie. It involves standing around, throwing balls close to other balls, and drinking and socializing with new people as you play.
Here are some facts about Major League Bocce and their fall league which we’ll be playing in:
About Major League Bocce:
- Major League Bocce was founded
in Washington, DC in 2004 by a group of friends looking for a fun,
social activity centered around sports and drinking
- The first season in 2004 registered 50 players – today, Major League Bocce has over 7,500 members in leagues across DC, MD, VA, PA, and MA
- This isn’t your grandfather’s bocce – players must be 21 to play and
range in age from 21 to over 60. However, 28 is the average age of
- While bocce and drinking are the core competencies, the League has
always maintained a strong commitment to the surrounding community and
charity. First place teams receive a monetary donation to a charity of
their choosing. To date, Major League Bocce has donated over $85,000 to local, national,
and international charities.
- Bocce is accessible to all types of players – athletic ability is
not a pre-requisite to play. Men and women are completely equal in
skill when playing bocce. This game is about finesse, not fitness and is ideally suited to play with a beverage in one hand and a ball in another.
- Major League Bocce will
play at Fieldhouse on Tuesdays this fall on INDOOR courts. These
courts were designed and constructed by Major League Bocce and are built to be set-up
on indoor surfaces.
- The balls are smaller and lighter in weight for indoor play.
- Indoor bocce is played right next to the bar, which makes it easy to drink and play at the same time.
- Major League Bocce
Philly is sponsored by Dogfish Head beer, which will be on special at
Fieldhouse exclusively for Major League Bocce players on bocce nights.
- There will also be a season-long drinking contest – the teams that drink
Dogfish Head will be automatically entered to win gift certificates
every week, and the team that drinks the most DFH during the season will
win a grand prize donated by the brewery.
- Fieldhouse will also offer food specials to members on league nights.
- Players receive a team t-shirt, 7 weeks of organized league play, and a party at the end of the season with free beer.
- EVERYONE makes the playoffs – however, once you lose, you’re out.
- Teams compete for 1st and 2nd place bocce trophies (yes, they make bocce trophies) along with a donation to a charity of their choice
- The season starts 10/16 and ends 12/18 with a week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.
price to register for the season costs $45. Everyone who enters the
700level photo contest will get $5 off registration for the fall season
plus a chance to play for FREE (along with a friend) on the The700Level
Be sure to enter our photo contest. All it takes is uploading one photo you already have on your laptop/phone/Facebook/Instagram/etc. And if you’d like to register to play in the fall league you can do so here.
Details for Major League Bocce / The700Level Happy Hour:
When: Thursday, September 27th
Where: Fieldhouse (Google Maps)
Time: 7:00-9:00 pm
What: Major League Bocce happy hour with The700Level.com – meet the contributors, play a little bocce (bocce court will be set-up), watch the Phillies v. Nats game
Specials: $4 Dogfish Head Punkin’ Ale and 60 Minute IPA drafts (plus food specials TBD)
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return