Nov 12, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT
Some weren’t sure there’d be a football game between Penn State and Nebraska today. Would they cancel out of shame, respect, fear? The answer is no, that the game will go on, unless something shocking happens between now and kickoff.
And, at least one person has tried to derail those plans. A bomb threat has been called in to Beaver Stadium. Police have already inspected the claim and found nothing. Having been to a college football stadium for an event that had a bomb threat called in, it’s some scary, scary shit, and whoever called it in deserves a thorough ass-kicking followed by some jail time. As if anyone needed all for chaos in State College right now. The past week has seen plenty.
Bradley in the Spotlight
The football regime will look unlike it has in all our lifetimes. Joe Paterno won’t be on the sideline or in the protective bubble. Mike McQueary has been placed on paid leave. A significant piece of Joe’s crew will be the man in charge this afternoon and presumably for the remainder of the season. For the first time ever, those who don’t follow Penn State and college football intently will have to google “Penn State head coach” if they want to know who will be in charge (it’s Tom Bradley if you fall into that category).
Arrington by Candlelight
Last night, a candlelight vigil was held for the victims of Jerry Sandusky’s sexual abuse (great pic here). Lavar Arrington, one of the best linebackers to play at Linebacker U, delivered this speech. Definitely worth a listen. That and more from State College below.
John Clark says a plane is flying a banner overhead that reads “Joe is so dirty he needs a shower.” Really? That’s the best you could come up with to express that sentiment?
Jeff McLane says PSU linebacker coach Ron Vanderlinden was crying as he entered the stadium.
Darren Rovell says Penn State has removed the names of sponsors from its web site. At least six pulled ads from today’s telecast as of yesterday.
Twitter’s spilling over with updates like the ones above, with tons of local and national media giving firsthand accounts from the parking lots and Beaver Stadium. At noon, there’ll actually even be a football game played between the Nittany Lions and the Cornhuskers. The degree to which the coverage will shift to the field remains to be seen.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money