Jan 1, 2012, 10:57 AM EST
Whether you want to protest management, or plain don’t care about meaningless Week 17 football games, the NFL is not the only game in town today — literally… at least as far as your television is concerned. ESPNU has you covered with three regional basketball programs that find themselves in some intriguing matchups.
Villanova @ #13 Marquette
After jumping out to a 4-0 start, the Wildcats have gone through a rough patch, winning just three of their last nine. Their losing ways extended into their Big East opener, which they dropped to West Virginia 83-69 in Morgantown on Wednesday.
Things could get worse before they get better, as the Golden Eagles have a talented club that might be in contention for a conference title. However, Marquette has faltered of late as well, losing two of their last three. Can a young Nova crew slip out of
Michigan Wisconsin with the upset victory?
Penn @ #5 Duke
Okay, this one is probably more for Duke fans. On paper, the Quakers are completely overmatched. As usual, the Blue Devils have one of the most highly regarded teams in the nation, and when these programs met two years ago, Penn got trounced to the tune of 114-55. Here’s hoping a better showing is in order.
Penn State @ Northwestern
The Nittany Lions have hung in there so far this year despite graduating their best, and arguably only player. They are two games above .500, but got smoked by Michigan 71-53 in their Big Ten opener on Thursday.
On the flip side, PSU has historically had success against Northwestern. You have to go all the way back to the 06-07 season to find the last time the… uh, Wildcats beat blue. That said, they are off to a much better start than usual, and may even have the better team this year. We’ll see.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return