Jan 3, 2012, 12:51 PM EST
The Duke University Blue Devils are quite possibly the most divisive college basketball program in the country.
Some people (Dick Vitale) see them as the A-No. 1 cat’s pajamas of collegiate athletics. Other people (Jalen Rose) tend to disagree for reasons which will go unstipulated here (but fully stipulated by Rose himself here).
Well, just in case you had any particular stereotypes in mind about the Dukies, you might be surprised to hear their head coach discuss some of the finer points of his street credibility within the city of Philadelphia.
If they don’t have a Wilt story, they have a Palestra story. And everybody’s got one. Read Mike Krzyzewski’s after the jump…
Speaking with reporters after his team’s blowout of the Penn Quakers from inside Cameron Indoor on Sunday night, Coach K shared a great reverence for our fair city and its proud basketball tradition. It’s not uncommon—especially on this site—to hear local college basketball fans pine for a return to the days of double-headers at the Palestra, telling and retelling story after story, all of which have added to the building’s already untouchable mystique.
Add this one, courtesy of CSNPhilly’s Matt Haughton, to the list:
And he didn’t even mention the part about how the team would have to walk 20 blocks through the snow to make it to the building (uphill! both ways!)
Nah, seriously though, I love old basketball stories; and Krzyzewski more than likely has as many as anyone to tell—save, of course, for our own coach Chaney.
Speaking of which, the Temple Owls will be hosting those same Duke University Blue Devils tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. The game will be played at neither the Palestra nor the Owls’ own home court.
See the best part about these stories is the sense that something truly special used to exist. The worst part is that realization that there could possibly be more Dukeheads than Owl alums at the Wells Fargo Center tomorrow night.
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages