Jan 3, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
The Duke University Blue Devils are quite possibly the most divisive college basketball program in the country.
Some people (Dick Vitale) see them as the A-No. 1 cat’s pajamas of collegiate athletics. Other people (Jalen Rose) tend to disagree for reasons which will go unstipulated here (but fully stipulated by Rose himself here).
Well, just in case you had any particular stereotypes in mind about the Dukies, you might be surprised to hear their head coach discuss some of the finer points of his street credibility within the city of Philadelphia.
If they don’t have a Wilt story, they have a Palestra story. And everybody’s got one. Read Mike Krzyzewski’s after the jump…
Speaking with reporters after his team’s blowout of the Penn Quakers from inside Cameron Indoor on Sunday night, Coach K shared a great reverence for our fair city and its proud basketball tradition. It’s not uncommon—especially on this site—to hear local college basketball fans pine for a return to the days of double-headers at the Palestra, telling and retelling story after story, all of which have added to the building’s already untouchable mystique.
Add this one, courtesy of CSNPhilly’s Matt Haughton, to the list:
And he didn’t even mention the part about how the team would have to walk 20 blocks through the snow to make it to the building (uphill! both ways!)
Nah, seriously though, I love old basketball stories; and Krzyzewski more than likely has as many as anyone to tell—save, of course, for our own coach Chaney.
Speaking of which, the Temple Owls will be hosting those same Duke University Blue Devils tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. The game will be played at neither the Palestra nor the Owls’ own home court.
See the best part about these stories is the sense that something truly special used to exist. The worst part is that realization that there could possibly be more Dukeheads than Owl alums at the Wells Fargo Center tomorrow night.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money