Jun 5, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish football program will give up some of its independence in 2014, when it becomes a pseudo-member of the ACC.
Last September, ND announced it was moving its athletic programs from the Big East to the ACC, but as part of the deal, the Irish are now contracted to play five ACC opponents each year. That scheduling change obviously presents a problem considering that Notre Dame, as an independent, books its opponents well in advance.
And since the Irish now have control over only seven of their games each season, as opposed to 12, that means some schools are going to have to get crossed off the list.
Enter Arizona State and its athletic director, Steve Patterson. ASU is one of the schools that’s been slighted by ND’s scheduling change. Though the Sun Devils will still play Notre Dame this year — Oct. 5 at Cowboys Stadium — they were bumped from ND’s 2014 schedule to make room for Florida State.
“Talking to them as recently as two hours ago, we’re still in discussions,” ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620′s Doug and Wolf Tuesday afternoon.
“I think they’re excited about their new TV contract with the ACC, so they think it’s probably not as beneficial to come to Tempe and take on Todd’s team,” Patterson said. “I think they’ve got a football coach who would prefer to play Rice and Temple.
“But we’ll keep talking and see where we can get.”
Well, calling out Brian Kelly is a little better than referring to those “damned Catholics,” right?
Temple opens its season in South Bend on Aug. 31 and will host Notre Dame in Philadelphia at Lincoln Financial Field on Oct. 11, 2014. The Owls wrap up their three-game agreement, originally announced in 2011, with a return visit to South Bend in 2017.
Arizona State, by the way, kicks off its 2013 season against Sacramento State and its 2014 campaign vs. Weber State. You know, some coaches just prefer…
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return