Sep 2, 2011, 2:41 PM EST
Inquirer staff writer Joseph DiStefano is reporting that the Big 5 Men’s and Women’s basketball conference is currently in negotiations to stage a Philadelphia versus New York college basketball tournament in the Fall of 2012.
DiStefano mentions Fordham, Columbia, Manhattan, Iona and one other unnamed NYC school as the leading candidates to take on our very own La Salle, Penn, St. Joseph’s, Temple and Villanova. Just brainstorming who else could be involved, the St. John’s Red Storm would round out the NY Five rather nicely.
When asked to explain his motivations, Tom Muldoon, the gentleman leading the effort, offered the following:
We feel pretty confident answering all of those questions, especially that Giants inquiry, but we’d love to see this thing played out nonetheless.
Potential logistics for the proposed tournament, plus Hakim Warrick’s own idea for a “Philly versus…” exhibition after the jump….
In the article, Muldoon claims the Wells Fargo Center is already an interested party and that a “fat TV contract” with an ABC or NBC is perfectly achievable. If that sounds like some big talk, fret not; the board backing Muldoon’s effort is a veritable who’s who of individuals across the Philadelphia sports and business landscape. Per DiStefano:
We should also mention that if Wells Fargo really is interested, that could go a long way towards securing a deal with NBC, a fortunate consequence of the network’s recent merger with Comcast.
Anyway, jumping gears just a bit, but still staying on basketball, Philadelphia native and current Phoenix Sun Hakim Warrick has been generating some buzz of his own.
Thanks to the massive success of the recent Goodman League games in which some of the NBA’s finest decided to go all kinds of happy-go-jacky on each other, Warrick is hoping to stage a Philadelphia vs. Washington D.C. exhibition inside the Palestra. Thank god they put in the new video boards.
I really don’t know which I’m more excited for, the potential to see something totally bats–t freaking absurd go down so I can join one of these in-the-middle-of-the-game-on-the-floor celebratory mosh pits:
..or the possibility of hearing this music again:
|Andrew Unterberger on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|psudrozz on The 12 best photos from the Ea…|
|Mat on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|Rusty on Eagles officially the hottest…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages