Nov 9, 2011, 10:18 PM EST
Although Joe Paterno released a statement earlier on Wednesday saying that he would retire from his position as head coach of the Penn State football team, the university’s Board of Trustees has decided the time for his era to end must come sooner. It must come right now.
Joe Paterno has coached his last game at Penn State. After more than four decades as head coach, Paterno has been fired amidst the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal that continues to devastate the university.
The Board of Trustees met Wednesday night and came to the decision that it was in the university’s best interest for Paterno and Penn State President Graham Spanier to immediately leave their respective positions. ABC’s Jim Gardner broke the news on twitter tonight that Paterno would not coach another game, and that Spanier had resigned. Gardner reports that assistant coach Tom Bradley will be interim coach.
From the sounds of things, State College could be in for a very long night. Students are arriving in droves to gather outside of Old Main in support of Paterno. We can only hope it remains a peaceful protest, but there is speculation that it could turn ugly.
Update: Various reports state that some rioting has begun, with riot gear-clad police responding using mace to attempt to stop the worst actors in the crowds. A news van has been overturned—picture below—and light poles have been pulled down.
Picture via The Daily Collegian twitter feed, which is a must-follow tonight.
At 1 AM, Police are said to have things under control, although many students remain outside.
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
|The Bees Knees on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Northeast Philly on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages