May 7, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Former Temple coach Wayne Hardin was named to the College Football Hall of Fame on Tuesday.
Hardin is the winningest coach in program history, with an 80-50-3 record. His 1979 team, which finished 10-2, was the first in Owls history to win a bowl game and the only to finish a season ranked (No. 17).
But that’s not why we’re here.
Because from 1973-74, Temple actually owned the longest winning streak in the nation at 14 games. After the 13th in a row, Sports Illustrated, in its Oct. 26 issue, decided to write a story on Hardin’s program, entitled:
Then there’s the opening:
Forget all that old business about desire, dedication and do or die. Temple’s Wayne Hardin has hit on a new formula that seems as simple as it is surefire. Take one heavy dose of loneliness. Mix well with a dash of rejection and disillusionment. Stir in a few assorted longings—for a clean pair of socks, say, a cold beer or a faraway girl friend—and presto! You’ve got a 13-game winning streak.
The Charles Ramsey video is just about the only thing I’ve seen better than that all day. Especially when you consider that Temple fans themselves spent the decades after praying just to win a game.
To read the full SI story —> When Playing Temple, Pray
And for more on Hardin —> Former Temple coach Hardin named to College Football HOF
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money