Aug 5, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Anyone who reads our college coverage will realize this is pretty much a dream come true. Or, as Phil Martelli put it, “It’s a concept basketball junkies will embrace.”
Really, the chance to see guys who used to star on local teams reuniting for well-marketed summer league ball? How can we lose?
At 8 p.m. this evening at the Hagan Arena inside the Alumni Fieldhouse on the campus of Saint Joseph’s University, Team Philadelphia takes on Team Washington D.C. in the second leg of a two-day showcase for the new Basketball Alumni Legends League (aka The-BALL).
Oh, and college kids — you’re getting in for free. Hit the jump for more…
The league, founded by a former filmmaker with a passion for basketball, is set to kick-off in Summer 2013, and will feature rosters comprised of former college stars from the competing cities.
Tonight’s rosters feature the following names:
Philly: Curtis Sumpter (Villanova), Tasheed Carr (St. Joe’s), Pat Carroll (St. Joe’s), Dwayne Jones (St. Joe’s), Ryan Brooks (Temple), Dionte Christmas (Temple), Ramone Moore (Temple), Dustin Salisbery (Temple), Mark Tyndale (Temple), Rodney Green (La Salle) and Frank Elegar (Drexel). Nova’s Allan Ray was originally part of the roster, but is now scratched.
D.C.: Chris Monroe (George Washington), Tony Taylor (George Washington), Jason Clark (Georgetown), Austin Freeman (Georgetown), Henry Sims (Georgetown), Chris Wright (Georgetown), John Gilchrist (Maryland), James Gist (Maryland), D.J. Strawberry (Maryland), Folarin Campbell (George Mason), Jai Lewis (George Mason) and Will Thomas (George Mason).
– Game 1 was Saturday on the campus of GW, where D.C. won 111-93.
– Comcast Sportsnet will be airing the game live at 8 p.m.
– College students get in free with a school ID and their institution’s team colors.
– All other interested parties may purchase tickets in advance here.
– This evening marks the last game in the basketball careers of Pat Carroll and Curtis Sumpter. Carroll is moving on to the healthcare industry and Sumpter will apparently become a coach.
– Dionte Christmas is, for now, your newest Boston Celtic and will have the chance to make the team out of camp.
– Ramone Moore spent time with the Chicago Bulls in Summer League, but has signed on overseas in Italy to play on the same team, Angellico Biella, as Craig Brackins.
– Maryland’s D.J. Strawberry, who spent part of a season with the Phoenix Suns in 2007-2008, is indeed the son of the Darryl Strawberry.
– Follow along @cnmenta for the occasional update during the game.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return