Oct 10, 2012, 10:17 AM EST
I used to joke L.J. Smith held the football like a loaf of bread. Turns out he would have made a great addition to the 1934 Temple Owls.
For the first time in 78 years, the Temple football team will travel to an away game by train, when they hop an Amtrak charter bound for UConn on Friday. Kickoff between the Owls and Huskies is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday (ESPN 3).
According to the Temple game notes, the last time the team traveled by rail was in Dec. 1934, on its way to the inaugural Sugar Bowl held on Jan. 1, 1935, in Baton Rouge, La. The trip, with then-coach Glenn “Pop” Warner, took three days, and according to legend:
“During a stop in Atlanta, Ga., the Owls stretched their legs on the station platform and held a 10-minute ‘workout’ with a loaf of bread as a football.”
Temple lost the game to Tulane at Tulane Stadium, 20-14.
While we’re on the subject, someone go see if Jerry Seinfeld is available to coach Mike Vick on how to wrap up a marble rye.
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|AJockStrapFeely on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|luke jenkins on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages