Oct 10, 2012, 10:17 AM EDT
I used to joke L.J. Smith held the football like a loaf of bread. Turns out he would have made a great addition to the 1934 Temple Owls.
For the first time in 78 years, the Temple football team will travel to an away game by train, when they hop an Amtrak charter bound for UConn on Friday. Kickoff between the Owls and Huskies is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday (ESPN 3).
According to the Temple game notes, the last time the team traveled by rail was in Dec. 1934, on its way to the inaugural Sugar Bowl held on Jan. 1, 1935, in Baton Rouge, La. The trip, with then-coach Glenn “Pop” Warner, took three days, and according to legend:
“During a stop in Atlanta, Ga., the Owls stretched their legs on the station platform and held a 10-minute ‘workout’ with a loaf of bread as a football.”
Temple lost the game to Tulane at Tulane Stadium, 20-14.
While we’re on the subject, someone go see if Jerry Seinfeld is available to coach Mike Vick on how to wrap up a marble rye.
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return