Nov 9, 2011, 10:14 AM EST
It’s not much of a surprise amidst the sex abuse scandal that continues to devastate Penn State at nearly every level, but the AP is reporting that head football coach Joe Paterno will retire at the end of the season. We’ll leave it at that for now, as there have been quite a few ongoing discussions as to whether and why Joe should stay or go, but this news stands alone. Joe Paterno will reportedly not be the head coach at Penn State when the Nittany Lions take the field in 2012. [Read Joe Paterno's statement of resignation below]
That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.
My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this university.”
Some will argue that he should not coach another game. Others will say
he should to continue on as coach. Others will point out that, scandal
aside, it was time anyway.
Finally, for those who have been clambering for it, you will notice that Paterno did include the words “I wish I had done more” in his letter.
If only that made things any better.
|GregL190 on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|MJS on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|romanKanai on Michael Young Is Posting Some…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages