Aug 7, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT
The team will wear blue ribbons on its jerseys for the upcoming season to support victims of child abuse and — for the first time in the program’s history — Nittany Lion football players will have their names sewn on their backs.
The latter move is intended to recognize the players’ “resolve and dedication” to the program throughout the scandals, court cases, investigations, sanctions and opportunities to transfer over the past year.
Selected quotes from the university’s release from first-year head coach Bill O’Brien:
“I’m proud that our players want to be part of the University’s efforts to help victims of child abuse,” O’Brien said. “We hope our fans join us in wearing blue ribbons to all Penn State home games. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of children everywhere.”
“We want our fans to know and recognize these young men,” O’Brien said. “They have stuck together during tough times, and I commend them for the leadership they have shown. Moving forward, I’m deeply committed to honoring Penn State’s traditions, while building a bright future for our football program.”
I’m not a Penn State guy, so the N.O.B. switch isn’t jarring to me outside of understanding the school’s tradition of going N.N.O.B. That said, I think it’s a nice gesture for the kids who will choose to ride out the ensuing lean years while doing their best to keep the program afloat. Of course, there are others more attached to the tradition than I who will argue the school is selling out its values for cheap, good pub.
Either way, since already we’re on the subject of uni alterations, any chance we can get the
white and blue collars back on the home and away jerseys, respectively?
I liked those.
We typically don’t need to encourage any of you to comment on Penn State stories, but what do you think of the changes?
|will on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|FlyersFan on Wayne Simmonds on Hartsy and V…|
|FlyersFan on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Shane Gostisbehere on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money