Aug 7, 2012, 3:44 PM EST
The team will wear blue ribbons on its jerseys for the upcoming season to support victims of child abuse and — for the first time in the program’s history — Nittany Lion football players will have their names sewn on their backs.
The latter move is intended to recognize the players’ “resolve and dedication” to the program throughout the scandals, court cases, investigations, sanctions and opportunities to transfer over the past year.
Selected quotes from the university’s release from first-year head coach Bill O’Brien:
“I’m proud that our players want to be part of the University’s efforts to help victims of child abuse,” O’Brien said. “We hope our fans join us in wearing blue ribbons to all Penn State home games. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of children everywhere.”
“We want our fans to know and recognize these young men,” O’Brien said. “They have stuck together during tough times, and I commend them for the leadership they have shown. Moving forward, I’m deeply committed to honoring Penn State’s traditions, while building a bright future for our football program.”
I’m not a Penn State guy, so the N.O.B. switch isn’t jarring to me outside of understanding the school’s tradition of going N.N.O.B. That said, I think it’s a nice gesture for the kids who will choose to ride out the ensuing lean years while doing their best to keep the program afloat. Of course, there are others more attached to the tradition than I who will argue the school is selling out its values for cheap, good pub.
Either way, since already we’re on the subject of uni alterations, any chance we can get the
white and blue collars back on the home and away jerseys, respectively?
I liked those.
We typically don’t need to encourage any of you to comment on Penn State stories, but what do you think of the changes?
|Lol on Is Nate Allen good now, part o…|
|Marvin Monroe on Erik Kratz traded for Brad Lin…|
|Adam B on Things that happened during la…|
|willh888 on Erik Kratz traded for Brad Lin…|
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Dad Teaches Son Important Lesson by Letting Him Crash Bike Into Tree
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages