Jul 10, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
If you’re a Temple grad, and currently thinking to yourself — “Where the hell did they build this thing on top of every other thing they’re building down there!??!” — you’re looking at the old student recreation pavilion at Broad & Berks, where you used to play intramural ball. It’s Temple’s new indoor practice facility for football.
News of the project broke in late May and comes less than two years after Temple already invested $10 million in renovating and expanding its primary football facility at 10th & Diamond.
Some details from the Temple News:
James Creedon, the senior vice president for construction, facilities and operations, said a turf field will be added to the Pavilion by the beginning of August.
“It’s not even going to be a full field,” Creedon said. “It’ll be marked off for drilling. There will be a red zone area. Areas to practice both offense and defense. There’s some videotaping abilities and that’s really about it.”
The plan originated in a conversation between Creedon, football coach Matt Rhule and interim athletic director Kevin Clark. Creedon said they faced financial and logistical problems with constructing a new building.
“We thought, ‘Are there any other options that might be out there?’” Creedon said. “We started talking about the Student Pavilion, and thought that there might be some lower cost, cost-effective options that would achieve the same result with the Pavilion.”
You may remember this specific location as the proposed spot for a new library, but Temple’s new president, Neil Theobald, wanted to keep the academic buildings together on the east side of Broad St. Those plans are still in the works.
The rec courts, by the way, have been moved next to the basketball team’s own practice facility on the third floor of the new Pearson/McGonigle Hall expansion. They’re pretty nice.
photos via 20/20 Visual Media.
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Reneecel on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money