Mar 21, 2012, 1:26 PM EST
The Ty Johnson era has begun on the Main Line.
CBS Sports’ Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Maalik Wayns either has or will be signing with agent Andy Miller, who (VUHoops informs us) also represents another former Wildcat in Kyle Lowry.
Wayns declared for the NBA Draft last week, a move not uncommon for upperclassman who merely want to test their draft stock. Until a player retains an agent, he can always change his mind — up to, that is, April 10 when he must decide one way or the other.
Of course, Wildcat fans need wait no longer to discern Wayns intentions. If Goodman’s tweet is correct, Wayns will be departing Jay Wright’s program after just three years, two of which he served as a starter.
The guard scored 1,191 points in his college career and averaged 17.6 ppg to lead the Wildcats offense last season. Really, Wayns was the Wildcats offense last season.
With his departure, the starting point guard role will fall to sophomore Ty Johnson, who filled in for Wayns when the junior missed three games in the middle of this year’s Big East schedule with a sprained MCL. Johnson averaged 3.3 points, 2.0 assists and 1.8 turnovers in 17.7 minutes a night his freshman year. In those three occasions he started for Wayns, Johnson played 39.6 minutes, scoring 8.7 points, handing out 5.7 assists and surrendering 3.0 turnovers.
Without Wayns, and with big man Daniel Ochefu as possibly the only incoming recruit ready to provide an immediate contribution, next season could very well be another down year for the Wildcats. After all, they went only 13-19 with Wayns in 2011-12.
Thoughts on Maalik’s draft stock? Villanova’s 2012-13 season?
|33 on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|willh888 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages