Mar 21, 2012, 1:26 PM EDT
The Ty Johnson era has begun on the Main Line.
CBS Sports’ Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Maalik Wayns either has or will be signing with agent Andy Miller, who (VUHoops informs us) also represents another former Wildcat in Kyle Lowry.
Wayns declared for the NBA Draft last week, a move not uncommon for upperclassman who merely want to test their draft stock. Until a player retains an agent, he can always change his mind — up to, that is, April 10 when he must decide one way or the other.
Of course, Wildcat fans need wait no longer to discern Wayns intentions. If Goodman’s tweet is correct, Wayns will be departing Jay Wright’s program after just three years, two of which he served as a starter.
The guard scored 1,191 points in his college career and averaged 17.6 ppg to lead the Wildcats offense last season. Really, Wayns was the Wildcats offense last season.
With his departure, the starting point guard role will fall to sophomore Ty Johnson, who filled in for Wayns when the junior missed three games in the middle of this year’s Big East schedule with a sprained MCL. Johnson averaged 3.3 points, 2.0 assists and 1.8 turnovers in 17.7 minutes a night his freshman year. In those three occasions he started for Wayns, Johnson played 39.6 minutes, scoring 8.7 points, handing out 5.7 assists and surrendering 3.0 turnovers.
Without Wayns, and with big man Daniel Ochefu as possibly the only incoming recruit ready to provide an immediate contribution, next season could very well be another down year for the Wildcats. After all, they went only 13-19 with Wayns in 2011-12.
Thoughts on Maalik’s draft stock? Villanova’s 2012-13 season?
|Rob on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money