Feb 22, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
As our policy has been to never get too bent out of shape about any conference realignment rumors, we obviously present this with a grain of salt.
That said, as OwlsBlog.com editor John Lamb put it on Twitter: “Thamel AND McMurphy? Where there’s smoke there’s fire.”
For reference, “Thamel” would be Pete Thamel of the New York Times and “McMurphy” would be Brett McMurphy of CBSSports. They are both reporting that Temple is close to joining the Big East as an all-sports member and that a deal could be done by the end of the month.
In specific, McMurphy has written that one source told CBS that “Temple to the Big East in 2012 ‘is done.’”
Thamel added in his piece that Temple has received an offer from the merging C-USA/MWC super PAC and that Temple will have to make its intentions known to that conference in the next month.
As for the local guys, the Inquirer’s Mike Jensen reminds us that while Temple might be able to get out of the MAC in short order, it remains to be seen how long it would take to leave the A-10 (if, of course, this is all really happening).
We’ve been commenting for months after every Big East expansionary plan’s exclusion of Temple that all it would take was one more school to leave the conference and TU would be right back on the list of candidates. Now, it turns out, all that was needed was for a school already leaving — West Virginia — to just expedite its exit.
Again, none of this is official and we’re just going to yawn until we get the official releases (because we’re like that with realignment), but the news certainly comes from the places Temple fans would want it to in terms of potential validity.
We’ll update as necessary.
|willh888 on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
|BenE. on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
|t800m101 on Video: Sean Couturier is too m…|
|Marvin Monroe on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages