Jun 23, 2011, 11:56 PM EDT
Following in the footsteps of the Philadelphia Eagles less than two months ago, the Philadelphia 76ers have drafted a Temple Owl. With the 50th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Sixers have selected 6’9 power forward Lavoy Allen. This is the first Owl selected by the 76ers since Mark Karcher was chosen 48th overall in 2000.
Allen completed his senior season in March as the all-time leading rebounder in Temple history and one of the greatest Owls in recent memory. LA is a talented rebounder with massive hands and special sense for how and where the ball comes off the rim. Moreover, Allen’s stalwart presence under the basket made Temple one of the most consistently solid defensive squads in the country. As coach Fran Dunphy was quoted on NBA.com:
That all said, the kid obviously isn’t perfect and shortcomings do remain. Though he’s billed at 225 pounds, Lavoy lacks the clear cut “look” of an NBA player. At 6’9, he certainly has the height and wingspan to compete, but would do himself well to put on some extra muscle in the weight room. On offense, Lavoy has been criticized for being less than assertive in attacking the basket and suffered at times from an inability to convert from the post position. Gaining weight, working on his post moves and finding a tougher mental edge will all benefit Lavoy in the future and hopefully make him a valid candidate for this roster.
Given the above, while Lavoy’s place as a Sixer is far from guaranteed, this is a nonetheless special moment for Big 5 and Owls fans alike.
As someone still trying to get over the fact that the Sixers passed on Dionte Christmas out of training camp two years ago, this is more than a little surprising for yours truly. Having watched Lavoy Allen for the last four years at Temple and even remembering him from his high school days at Pennsbury High School, I can tell you Lavoy has come a long, long way.
Regardless of whether or not he makes this roster, I have been and will remain proud of Lavoy Allen. Congratulations, my man. You made it.
Nick Menta is a Temple University Alum
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money