Oct 15, 2011, 1:02 AM EDT
Doesn’t it feel good to be discussing Temple football and actually focusing on football?
Saturday afternoon is homecoming for the university, with the Owls (4-2, 2-1) set to play host to the Buffalo Bulls (2-4, 1-1). The game will be broadcast live on the All-MACcess web stream as well as on OwlSports.com. As always, it can be heard on the radio on 1210 AM.
Fortunately, there won’t be any tirades in today’s gamer about attendance or conference realignment or anything else (though we will take this opportunity to remind you that you can purchase tickets to any two remaining Temple home games for just $24!), we’ll just talk some football and go over some gambling lines and…
Alright, alright, I’ve got a Big East update at the bottom (and it isn’t great news for Temple).
Oh, and I’ll also show you one of the strangest grammatically correct sentences in the English language. I’ll give you a hint: it has to do with Buffalo.
Temple is coming off what should have been a confidence-boosting 42-0 shutout of the Ball State Cardinals last week. The team just needs to to make sure that the boost in confidence isn’t accompanied by a spike in hubris. Though they’ve been excellent front-runners in 2011, the Owls have yet to show they can win a tight football game.
“We’ve seen what can happen, not being on our A-game,” said Addazio earlier this week. “We’ve seen that. We still haven’t proved that we can come from behind yet.”
As such, the Owls will benefit from a certain sense of humility against all their MAC opponents. After all, a 42-0 win doesn’t mean much if you can’t follow it up with another impressive showing. It’s a lesson the team learned after the Maryland game, and hopefully one it will remember against Buffalo. They might be getting better, but they aren’t good enough to start overlooking anyone yet.
After some odds talk in the comments a week or two back, I mentioned that I’d have to do a better job in the future remembering to post the lines each week. Well, here we are.
The Owls are favored favored by 3 touchdowns and 3 more extra points against the Bulls at -21. O/U is set at 47. Do both of these seem heavily influenced by the Ball State result last week? Proceed as you will.
The Buffalo Sentence
Alright, now I kid you not, the following, despite its lack of punctuation, is actually a grammatically correct sentence in the English language:
The sentence makes use of all three forms of the word “buffalo”—the city, the animal and the verb.
It’s about buffalo from Buffalo, who are buffaloed by some other Buffalo buffaloes, buffaloing some other buffalo. Read more on the buffaloing Buffalo buffaloes here.
Other Football-Related Notes
–After his fourth three-touchdown performance of the year last week, Bernard Pierce has officially passed Paul Palmer to become the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns scored by a Temple Owl. He currently leads the nation in TDs with 15.
–Third-string running Myron Myles is no longer a member of the football team, following a “verbal altercation” with a member of the coaching staff. From head coach Steve Addazio:
–Center John Palumbo, who missed last week’s game against Ball State, is expected to return against to action this week against the Bulls.
–We’ll update if we hear anything pursuant to the on-going Temple/Villanova/Big East situation, though we can tell you that things have apparently taken a turn for the worse from the Temple perspective over the last 24 hours. Multiple outlets are reporting that the Big East is moving ahead without the Owls in any capacity, thanks in large part to Villanova’s opposition. The Inquirer’s Mike Jensen, who’s just been killing it with updates all week, has another great read on the increasingly strained relationship between the two universities, which you can find by clicking here. Though the news is far from good, we’ll note that considering Boise State and Navy’s hesitation in joining the conference, it isn’t totally over for Temple just yet—one way or the other. Let’s just conclude that things are looking markedly worse than, say, Thursday.
See you post-game.
|findingclues4u on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Drew P on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Drew P on Flyers send down leading goal-…|
|KingOfNothing on Photo: Claude Giroux can do an…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return