Aug 20, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Hey, Nittany Lion fans: college football season is only 11 days away, which is eight days closer than the Eagles’ Monday night opener in Washington. Yet after today, the Birds have a starting quarterback, and Penn State still does not.
Of course, Bill O’Brien is in a little bit different of a position than Chip Kelly. PSU’s head coach is trying to decide between Tyler Ferguson, a junior college transfer who was leading the competition thanks to his experience, and Christian Hackenberg, perhaps the more heralded blue-chip freshman. O’Brien doesn’t have the luxury of seeing how both kids respond in a preseason game, either.
Heading into his second season in Happy Valley, O’Brien was reluctant to make a decision on his signal callers little more than a week out from their first game against Syracuse. The reality is he’s probably going to want to see both of them in action early this season, as reported by Rich Scarcella on his Nittany Extra blog:
“It’s very close,” O’Brien said before practice. “I told the team yesterday. They’re two of the best young quarterbacks I’ve ever coached. Tyler’s 19 years old and Christian’s 18.
“I’d say by the end of the week we’ll make a decision on who will start against Syracuse. I would say that both guys would play this year. I think both guys need to be ready to play this year.”
Such a situation – both quarterbacks receiving playing time – is a lot more common in college, especially early in the year when coaches haven’t had a chance to see how guys maintain their poise when playing in front of 110,000 fans. The first game could go a long way toward a final decision though, so who gets the first crack at it will have a big opportunity.
“The guy who’s the starter is gonna play the majority of the snaps,” he said. “Whoever the backup is will be a young guy who needs to get his feet wet a little bit. Why not play him a series here or there to get him into a major college football game and let him get his feet wet?”
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return