Jul 10, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
An Ohio man who inherited his grandfather’s house that had been passed down to him recently unearthed a box full of baseball cards in the attic dated to 1910 that could be worth millions and is considered one of the greatest baseball card finds ever.
The AP has the full story, which you should read in its entirety. A sampling:
issued around 1910. Up to now, the few known to exist were in so-so
condition at best, with faded images and worn edges. But the ones from
the attic in the town of Defiance are nearly pristine, untouched for
more than a century. The colors are vibrant, the borders crisp and
“It’s like finding the Mona Lisa in the attic,” Kissner said.
Sports card experts who authenticated the find say they may never again see something this impressive.
Among the treasure trove are legends like Christy Mathewson, Cy Young, Ty Cobb, and even a Honus Wagner that graded as a mint 10. I don’t even think I have any cards from the 1990′s that are graded a 10.
Also mentioned in the amazing find are a cards by the winningest (and lossingest) manager in baseball history, Philadelphia legend Connie Mack. Imagine someone today managing the Phillies for 50 seasons!
Anyway, cool story worth checking out.
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return