Jul 10, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
An Ohio man who inherited his grandfather’s house that had been passed down to him recently unearthed a box full of baseball cards in the attic dated to 1910 that could be worth millions and is considered one of the greatest baseball card finds ever.
The AP has the full story, which you should read in its entirety. A sampling:
issued around 1910. Up to now, the few known to exist were in so-so
condition at best, with faded images and worn edges. But the ones from
the attic in the town of Defiance are nearly pristine, untouched for
more than a century. The colors are vibrant, the borders crisp and
“It’s like finding the Mona Lisa in the attic,” Kissner said.
Sports card experts who authenticated the find say they may never again see something this impressive.
Among the treasure trove are legends like Christy Mathewson, Cy Young, Ty Cobb, and even a Honus Wagner that graded as a mint 10. I don’t even think I have any cards from the 1990′s that are graded a 10.
Also mentioned in the amazing find are a cards by the winningest (and lossingest) manager in baseball history, Philadelphia legend Connie Mack. Imagine someone today managing the Phillies for 50 seasons!
Anyway, cool story worth checking out.
|jpeezo on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages