Aug 15, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
On a positive note, Roy Halladay put together another solid outing in Wednesday afternoon’s loss to the Marlins. Halladay lasted seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits while walking one and striking out seven. He probably pitched well enough to earn the W. Unfortunately, he had a little trouble handling Greg Dobbs.
The former Phillies pinch hitter extraordinaire came back to haunt his old mates with a pair of runs batted in off of Halladay, including the solo home run in the sixth that put Miami in the driver’s seat. In spite of Dobbs’ efforts, Doc kept the Fightins in the game, but any chance of a late rally was effectively extinguished when Charlie Manuel went to the bullpen in the bottom of the eighth. A 3-2 deficit abruptly descended into a 9-2 thrashing, and that was the final.
B.J. Rosenberg, Raul Valdes, and Michael Schwimer were on the hook for six earned runs, though the damage is really on the hands of Rosenberg and Schwimer. Rosenberg failed to record an out, leaving the game with runners on first and second and one already across. Two batters later, Schwimer entered with one out and the bases loaded following an intentional walk, which is about the point when things got out of hand.
The Phillies didn’t provide the pitching staff much help at the plate, either. The offense mustered just five hits on the afternoon, as Mark Buehrle went seven innings and surrendered two runs on a Ty Wigginton bomb — his only mistake. Ryan Howard had the day off.
Coming into the day, the Phillies had not allowed a run in two games, and the Marlins had not scored one in three, but we all know that stuff doesn’t last forever. Still a disappointing loss that snaps a three-game winning streak, and strands the club’s three-games-or-better sweep count at one. However, on that note the Phils head to Milwaukee next for a set of four — the Brewers being that one team they swept.
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages