Apr 29, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Sometimes all a struggling team needs is a date with the New York Mets.
The Phillies have a much-deserved off day on Monday after completing a most enjoyable sweep of the Mets on Sunday.
Things really went about as smoothly as a Phillies fan could have hoped for. The offense put up four or more runs in each of the three contests while the starters — Kendrick, Pettibone, and Hamels — all earned wins.
The three victories pulled the Phils to a 12-14 record on the season.
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the NL East the Braves and Nationals have found some early season struggles of their own. The Braves have dropped four straight and are winners of only three of their last ten. You can’t stay hot forever.
All of these things are just another reminder that baseball is a really long season. Couple a Phils weekend sweep of the Mets with the Braves getting the broom and the conversations at your Sunday dinner turn from “yeah, the Phillies suck,” to “hey, they’ve been playing alright.”
4 games back and it’s not even May yet. It’s a long season.
But a sweep of the Mets is good for the soul. It won’t magically make the roster any younger, but it sure will make you feel better about flipping on the Phils on the TV/radio in the near future.
And we get to enjoy this one for an extra day before the Phils get back at it in Cleveland on Tuesday against a struggling Indians team.
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|CantStanzaYa on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages