Jun 7, 2013, 6:39 AM EDT
Pretty good night all around for the Phillies out in Wisconsin on Thursday. Charlie Manuel’s decision to give Michael Young a shot at the top of the lineup paid dividends with the third baseman going 3-5 and jump starting the offense. He had plenty of help with John Mayberry tallying three hits of his own and Dom Brown adding a couple more. Delmon Young also left the building for the sixth time on the season.
The Michael of the Youngs attributes much of the team’s recent success to the style of play they’re bringing every night and that can sometimes start on the base paths.
“We’re happy the hard work has started to pay off and we’re starting to see it in the standings,” Michael Young said. “I think we’re very happy with our style of play right now. We’re doing a good job on the bases, running aggressively, pushing the envelope. The bases is one of those places where you can create some energy for your team, and we’re doing a good job of that right now.”
Downtown Dom Brown swiped a couple more bases in the win to up his season total to six.
Tyler Cloyd pitched a heck of a game, scattering just four hits over 6.2 innings. The bullpen then did its job and the Phillies moved to above .500 on the season and it feels greaaaat.
Now that the Phillies keep rattling off victories, it’s becoming customary to check out the out of town scoreboard to see how those pesky Braves are doing. Good news: they lost on Thursday night thanks in part to that crazy awesome new Dodger Yasiel Puig hitting a grand slam.
Oh, and Friday night has Cliff Lee going up a reliever-turned-starter making just his second start of the season for the Brew Crew. Gotta like the Phils’ chances in that one.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money