Jun 18, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
The Phillies had some rallies going in three of the final four innings last night at Safeco Field, but it was too little, too late. It was Ichiro Suzuki jersey night, and the right fielder responded by scoring three runs, while Michael Pineda took a no-hitter into the sixth inning as the Mariners won 4-2.
It took the Fightins’ bats a while to get used to Seattle’s rookie
right-hander, who had some overpowering stuff. Chase Utley finally
notched an RBI single in the top of the sixth, but Placido Polanco
struck out with the bases loaded to limit the damage to one run. Polanco
was not pleased, and had words for the umpire after the three-pitch at
bat, something it seems has been all too common lately for the typically steady
From there it was up to the Mariners bullpen, and they made things interesting. Shane Victorino homered in the eighth to get the Phillies within two, and they had the tying run at the plate while making their last stand, but Domonic Brown grounded out to end the game.
Just prior to Vic’s solo shot, Jimmy Rollins was called out at first on a really close play. On the replays, it appeared he may very well have been safe, but neither J-Roll, the Phils’ skipper, or the announce team made much noise about it. It doesn’t appear it would have impacted the game’s outcome anyway.
Roy Oswalt didn’t pitch bad, but his inability to get Ichiro out proved costly. SS Brendan Ryan drove him in twice, and Justin Smoak also had an RBI. C Miguel Olivio added a solo blast, and hit the ball hard all night, as Oswalt went 6.1, and allowed four earned on eight hits and two walks.
It was a tough game for the Phils, who made the cross-country flight to meet a team they are not familiar with, and play in a ballpark that doesn’t necessarily suit their style. Of course, they’ll have to get over all of that, and it won’t get any easier tonight against the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner Felix Hernandez.
The loss ended a seven-game winning streak.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return