Jun 18, 2011, 12:53 PM EST
The Phillies had some rallies going in three of the final four innings last night at Safeco Field, but it was too little, too late. It was Ichiro Suzuki jersey night, and the right fielder responded by scoring three runs, while Michael Pineda took a no-hitter into the sixth inning as the Mariners won 4-2.
It took the Fightins’ bats a while to get used to Seattle’s rookie
right-hander, who had some overpowering stuff. Chase Utley finally
notched an RBI single in the top of the sixth, but Placido Polanco
struck out with the bases loaded to limit the damage to one run. Polanco
was not pleased, and had words for the umpire after the three-pitch at
bat, something it seems has been all too common lately for the typically steady
From there it was up to the Mariners bullpen, and they made things interesting. Shane Victorino homered in the eighth to get the Phillies within two, and they had the tying run at the plate while making their last stand, but Domonic Brown grounded out to end the game.
Just prior to Vic’s solo shot, Jimmy Rollins was called out at first on a really close play. On the replays, it appeared he may very well have been safe, but neither J-Roll, the Phils’ skipper, or the announce team made much noise about it. It doesn’t appear it would have impacted the game’s outcome anyway.
Roy Oswalt didn’t pitch bad, but his inability to get Ichiro out proved costly. SS Brendan Ryan drove him in twice, and Justin Smoak also had an RBI. C Miguel Olivio added a solo blast, and hit the ball hard all night, as Oswalt went 6.1, and allowed four earned on eight hits and two walks.
It was a tough game for the Phils, who made the cross-country flight to meet a team they are not familiar with, and play in a ballpark that doesn’t necessarily suit their style. Of course, they’ll have to get over all of that, and it won’t get any easier tonight against the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner Felix Hernandez.
The loss ended a seven-game winning streak.
|Nick on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|robert dolbow on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
|Handsome Pete on Photos: Temple Basketball will…|
|Captain_Awesome on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages