Dec 3, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
The Phillies’ options in the outfield keep getting slimmer. According to tweets from Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal, Angel Pagan has agreed to re-sign with the San Francisco Giants. The deal is believed to be of the 4-year variety.
This just days after the other main target of Ruben Amaro Jr, B.J. Upton, signed with the rival Braves at a price way above what the Phils reportedly offered.
So the pool of outfield options shrinks, leaving the high-priced Josh Hamilton who some believe to be a fit for Philadelphia, while others like Jim Salisbury believe to be a stretch. Michael Bourn could prove too costly for the Phils as well. There’s also Shane Victorino, but reports today said he was looking for 3+ years at $10 million per. That’s way too steep for the Flyin’ Hawaiian.
There’s also the trade route, but who really knows what’s available there.
Pagan seemed like the best fit for this club before the free agency gates opened, but it’s unclear as of now what kind of cash the Giants are handing him.
What are you thinking with two of the bigger prizes not coming to Philly? Ruben may have to start getting creative.
UPDATE: Looks like 4 for $40m for Pagan.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 3, 2012
Keep hearing people speculate about Josh Hamilton to #Phillies. But if I had to pick a word to describe their interest, “wary” covers it.
— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) December 3, 2012
|Mo-Cup-Town on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|2sentz on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|Nick Menta on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages