Jun 17, 2011, 9:18 AM EDT
The Phillies needed to make a move this weekend to make room for Vance Worley to return to the roster to start on Saturday in Seattle. Instead of optioning one of the younger players, Ruben Amaro Jr. and co. went the route of seemingly cutting ties with a veteran and key cog in the Phillies 2008 World Championship.
J.C. Romero was fantastic for the 2008 Phillies, and was the pitcher of record in two of their wins against the Rays in the World Series. Unfortunately, his time with the Phillies following that magical season was hampered by both an unfortunate PED suspension and nagging injury after nagging injury. When used in the right situation this season, solely against lefties, Romero wasn’t bad, but his lack of control and penchant for free passes cost the team on too many occasions and J.C. finally paid for it yesterday by losing his roster spot.
Romero, after a reported temper flare when first hearing the news of being designated for assignment, was gracious in his departure. He spoke of youngster and lefty replacement Antonio Bastardo like a proud mentor, noting that the student has surpassed the teacher.
Fans were frustrated with Romero’s performance this season, but the joyous reaction by a small contingent of fans upon his DFA’ing was a bit misguided. J.C. helped bring this city the only championship it’s had in decades. That shouldn’t be forgotten.
If his being designated for assignment gives the Phillies the best team to win the 2011 World Series, as Ruben and co. seem to believe, then it’s the right move for sure. But parting ways with a WFC shouldn’t be taken so lightly. Or mockingly.
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|The Green Hornet on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money