Jan 24, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
The Atlanta Braves upgraded their outfield in a big way on Thursday by trading for Arizona Diamondbacks young slugger Justin Upton, reuniting him with his older brother B.J. to form one impressive outfield along with Jayson Heyward. The cost for the other Upton brother was not cheap, however, as the Braves gave up Martin Prado and a number of prospects.
As FanGraphs points out, the trade isn’t necessarily a huge win for Atlanta right now with the loss of Prado and the gain of Upton pretty much evening out, but in the years to come, it should help both teams.
In exchange for Upton and third baseman Chris Johnson, the Diamondbacks reportedly are going to receive Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, Nick Ahmed, Zeke Spruill, and Brandon Drury.
While they previously tried to trade him for a high risk/high reward
pitching prospect and a middle infielder who is probably a year away
from the big leagues, this trade doesn’t really make the Diamondbacks
that much worse in 2013, and appears to be more of a win-now kind of
For this to really work for the D-Backs, you’d think they’d have to come to terms on an extension for Prado, whose contract currently ends after this season.
This can’t be a good day for Phillies fans. The Braves outfield is now stacked with young, athletic players all entering their prime and under Atlanta’s control.
But hey, we’ve got Delmon Young with his weight clause and eight other guys.
Maybe these e-cards will cheer you up.
— ESPN The Magazine (@ESPNMag) January 24, 2013
Projected Braves lineup: Simmons, Heyward, Justin Upton, McCann/Freeman, B.J. Upton, McCann/Freeman, Uggla, Johnson/Francisco. That’s scary.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 24, 2013
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages