Aug 22, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
According to Fox’s Ken Rosenthal, the Twins have placed Jim Thome on waivers.
Start your dreaming, Phillies fans.
As Rosenthal points out, the Phillies would certainly be interested in acquiring Thome’s services, but they’re literally the last team in line, meaning he would have to go unclaimed by the rest of baseball. Pretty much not happening.
But there is this:
Another possibility, if the Twins cannot work out a waiver trade for
Thome, would be for the team to place him on unconditional release
waivers later this month.
Thome then could use his no-trade clause to reject any claim, become a
free agent and choose his next team. Under that scenario, he would
sacrifice his remaining salary, about $500,000, and the Twins would
receive nothing in return.
Rosenthal quickly shoots that notion down, that the Twins would obviously want something in return for Thome. But $500,000 is nothing to sneeze at per se, right?
Eh, it’s all a very long shot. But you never know.
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages