Nov 4, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Inquirer Columnist Bob Brookover had the pleasure of recently spending some time on the phone with former Phillies skipper Charlie Manuel. They talked about what Charlie’s been up to as of late and also what the future may hold in store for the soon-to-be 70-year-old.
First, I just love this quote about how Charlie’s been keeping busy:
“I was back in Virginia for a charity event at my high school,” Manuel said. “I got to spend some time with my brother, too. It wasn’t really strange not to be there. I haven’t given it much thought. I go to Gold’s Gym in the morning, then I’ve been doing things around the house when I come home [to Winter Haven, Fla.]. We have a lake house we’re about to rent, so I’ve been cleaning the gutters and pressure washing, getting it ready.”
Since Wawa missed out on their chance to get Charlie Manuel inked to a lucrative endorsement deal, Gold’s Gym must jump at this. Or maybe Lowe’s Home Improvement’s power washing section or something. Charlie Manuel needs to be a pitchman for all sorts of things.
The Brookover column doesn’t have any huge new developments — Manuel’s agent talked to some clubs about managing but nothing really came of it — but it does have an encouraging nugget about Charlie keeping the door open for a return to Philadelphia:
“I haven’t talked to any other teams,” Manuel said. “I think the job the Phillies offered me, it’s a good job if I want to work and want to have some input and do some things. I definitely think about it and I will consider it until I have to make a decision.
“I think who I work with and the circumstances surrounding the job have something to do with it. I still want to be a help and be part of the solution. I want to enjoy baseball. I still want to teach. Those are the things I have to make my mind up on.
Obviously retooling the team to get headed in a positive direction on the field is the first order of business down on Citizens Bank Park Way this winter, but that doesn’t mean having Charlie around the organization in some capacity wouldn’t also be a nice added bonus for Phils fans if it were to happen.
>>Manuel still talking baseball [Inqy]
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return