Jul 26, 2011, 4:49 PM EST
Tim Lincecum (8-8, 2.90) and the World Champion San Francisco Giants are in Philadelphia this evening to take on Vance Worley (6-1, 2.02) and the Phillies. There are some painful memories from the last time these two teams met on this field, but this is a new season, and while the Phils know they may need to go through the Giants in the postseason, that’s a long ways down the road. But as far as a late July series goes, this should be a fun one.
(UPDATE: Tim Lincecum has been scratched from his start this evening due to the flu. Barry Zito (3-2, 4.78), who was scheduled to go tomorrow, will start tonight in Timmy’s place.)
“It’s a good series. It’s good for the fans, it’s good for the media, it’s good for us probably,” Manager Charlie Manuel said in the dugout before the game.
“They’re having a good year. They’re in first place in their division, we’re in first place in ours. Lincecum’s pitching tonight. He’s always tough,” Manuel added. “We got our work cut out for us, we gotta come out and out play them and beat ‘em. Keep our same old boring way of going about it and win.”
After last season’s disappointment, does Charlie Manuel feel like he’s got to go through the Giants to climb the mountain top?
“I think we’re about 61 games ahead of ourselves,” Manuel said, noting that there is plenty of season left before any crowning gets done.
But when somebody beats you, there’s an innate desire to get back at them, right?
“When people beat my team, I always want to get back and get revenge on them. I want to be the last guy standing.”
Perhaps it was legendary professional wrestler Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka’s presence in the clubhouse before Tuesday night’s game, but Manuel then put his bravado face on. We know from last year’s NLCS, Charlie loves him some professional wrestling quips.
“There will be a reckoning day,” Charlie said with a smile.
Photo from Jimmy Rollins on Twitter
Tonight’s lineup against the Giants right-hander: Rollins, Martinez, Utley, Howard, Victorino, Ibanez, Brown Mayberry, Schneider, and Worley. (UPDATE: Once Lincecum was scratched, Charlie went with Mayberry over Dom in right)
Charlie said it’s just a day of for Chooch. Nothing to be alarmed about.
No Pat the Bat this week in Philly, as the former Phils slugger is on the DL.
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|db21 on Please don’t use the wor…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages