Apr 15, 2011, 9:25 PM EST
Most people regret that last shot of tequila at the bar at 1:30 in the morning, or drunk dialing your ex girlfriend, or maybe even paying too much for car insurance. That’s what normal people regret. Cliff Lee regrets walking one batter in the eighth inning of his fantastic complete game shutout last night to cap off the Phillies 4-0 victory and fourth straight series victory to start off the season. At least that’s what he told Sarge in his postgame interview, that he regretted that lone walk.
It’s okay, Cliff, you got away with that one. [video below]
But damn, what a difference one start makes. Cliff’s turnaround from his last outing in Atlanta was obvious.
“Early in the game, I was locating fastballs and keeping the ball down. The difference from this start to last start is everything was just a little bit up in Atlanta, and this start it was a little more down,” Lee told reporters.
Cliff’s dominant 3 hit, 12 K, complete game shutout was predicated on his fastball, Lee said. His heater was working all night and he was able to locate it. He mixed in a few nasty curves later in the game, but when the heat is on, Cliff is tough to beat.
In fact, Lee’s performance on Thursday was the best pitching performance from a starter in all of baseball this season according to ESPN’s unique GameScore.
Carlos Ruiz put an end to Jordan Zimmermann’s impressive outing by getting his home run trot on, but at least one Phillie was quite impressed with the Nats’ starters stuff.
“That might be the best fastball I’ve ever seen,” Lee said of Zimmermann after the game.
It’s back to the Bank tonight as the Marlins are in town for a three game set. Just keep winning series.
VIDEO: Cliff talks about his great outing in DC.
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages