May 16, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
The Phillies are coming off of two straight frustrating losses, including yesterday’s complete game effort by Roy Halladay which didn’t get the job done. It wasn’t necessarily Roy’s fault, obviously, as the offense once again failed to do much of anything. But Halladay was uncharacteristically walk-y, and did hand over a late lead.
No matter now as the Phils have a quick turnaround in St. Louis during “squeeze week” as Wheels told us about yesterday. “Squeeze week” was a term Wheels said former Phils broadcaster Andy Musser used to call a pair of two game series — something about squeezing them in. We enjoyed learning the new Wheels-ism.
The Phils will face some real tough pitching over the next week or so against STL, COL, and TEX, but the good news is they start out with a favorable matchup this evening with Cliff Lee (2-3, 3.78) taking on Jake Westbrook (2-3, 6.92).
While Halladay wasn’t his best yesterday, the offense was far worse, failing to convert on a handful of opportunities.
Whoever puts the Phillies game notes together at least has a nice sense of humor:
As if those RISP numbers didn’t have you down, get a load of this lineup. Placido Polanco is not in this evening’s starting lineup. He says it’s just a day of rest. Instead, Wilson Valdez will work the hot corner. Jimmy, Valdez, Ibanez, Howard, Mayberry (CF), Benny, Orr, Chooch, and Lee.
First pitch scheduled for 7:05 from Busch Stadium. We don’t even need “everybody” to hits, just one or two guys in a key situation, na’mean? It’d be nice. Plus, you owe Cliff some support.
UPDATE: Vance Worley has been optioned to make room for Roy Oswalt.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return