Apr 9, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
As we told you prior to this evening’s game, the world is not ending — we repeat: NOT ending, Phillies fans. Because Cliff Lee pitched tonight. And he was fantastic once again.
Lee was on top of his game for the second time this season, pounding the strike zone early and often. The Mets were on top of his aggressiveness early, stringing together eight hits off of him overall, but Lee was able to mostly avoid any serious damage.
A Lee offering to John Buck was his only real bad mistake of the night. Buck put one into the seats in right field in the fourth inning. That was Lee’s only earned run of the evening. A very inexcusable throwing error from Jimmy Rollins to the previous batter cost him another.
The offense came through early in this one as well, allowing Lee to really stay in attack mode. The Phillies opened up for four runs in the second inning after John Mayberry knocked in Michael Young and Dom Brown who both reached on singles. Cliff Lee then helped his own cause, knocking in JMJ to make it 3-0. Ben Revere then knocked in Lee to make it a cool 4-0.
The third inning saw three solo shots from Ryan Howard (oppo), Young, and Mayberry Jr.
A 7-0 lead at that point would pretty much be the ball game.
One other interesting note: After legging out a triple earlier in the game, Young found himself just a double shy of the rare cycle. He had a chance in the seventh inning, but grounded out to short.
Lee’s final line: 8.2 IP, 3 runs, 2 earned, 8 hits, 6 Ks, 0 BBs. Fans kind of booed when Charlie decided to pull Lee with two outs in the ninth after allowing two batters to reach on singles in favor of Mike Adams. It was more funny than anything else.
Adams got the job done with just three pitches and the Phillies got their third victory of the season.
more on the game later… what’d you see tonight that you liked?
USA Today Sports photos
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money