Apr 9, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
As we told you prior to this evening’s game, the world is not ending — we repeat: NOT ending, Phillies fans. Because Cliff Lee pitched tonight. And he was fantastic once again.
Lee was on top of his game for the second time this season, pounding the strike zone early and often. The Mets were on top of his aggressiveness early, stringing together eight hits off of him overall, but Lee was able to mostly avoid any serious damage.
A Lee offering to John Buck was his only real bad mistake of the night. Buck put one into the seats in right field in the fourth inning. That was Lee’s only earned run of the evening. A very inexcusable throwing error from Jimmy Rollins to the previous batter cost him another.
The offense came through early in this one as well, allowing Lee to really stay in attack mode. The Phillies opened up for four runs in the second inning after John Mayberry knocked in Michael Young and Dom Brown who both reached on singles. Cliff Lee then helped his own cause, knocking in JMJ to make it 3-0. Ben Revere then knocked in Lee to make it a cool 4-0.
The third inning saw three solo shots from Ryan Howard (oppo), Young, and Mayberry Jr.
A 7-0 lead at that point would pretty much be the ball game.
One other interesting note: After legging out a triple earlier in the game, Young found himself just a double shy of the rare cycle. He had a chance in the seventh inning, but grounded out to short.
Lee’s final line: 8.2 IP, 3 runs, 2 earned, 8 hits, 6 Ks, 0 BBs. Fans kind of booed when Charlie decided to pull Lee with two outs in the ninth after allowing two batters to reach on singles in favor of Mike Adams. It was more funny than anything else.
Adams got the job done with just three pitches and the Phillies got their third victory of the season.
more on the game later… what’d you see tonight that you liked?
USA Today Sports photos
|TS on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|duffman on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|33 on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|Earl on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages