May 4, 2011, 1:39 AM EDT
The Phillies beat the Nationals 4-1 on Tuesday night.
Game was all about Cole Hamels. Pitching in Roy Oswalt’s spot, the ’08 World Series MVP didn’t do much except go the full nine. Hamels allowed five hits and one run–a solo shot–while striking out six, but the big number was 27 first pitch strikes. He got it done at the plate too, going 2-for-4 with a triple and a run scored.
The win gave Hamels his fourth, tied for most in the NL. His ERA dipped to 2.66, and it’s the fifth consecutive start he went at least seven innings. The Phillies have won all five.
It was not a completely unremarkable night for the offense either. Jimmy Rollins led off and set the table nicely, getting on base three times and driving in a run. Raul Ibanez ended an 0-for-36 slump, going for a pair of doubles and an RBI.
A dismal 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position crippled the lineup’s ability to put the game out of reach.
Jayson Werth received a warm welcome upon his first return to Citizens Bank Park. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.) He was a non-factor at the dish, but he may have misplayed a couple balls in the outfield that ultimately resulted in runs.
In the grand scheme, the Phillies gained a game on the Marlins, and they are in sole possession of first place after Florida’s loss to St. Louis. All is right in the world.
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|The Green Hornet on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money