Oct 17, 2011, 3:53 PM EST
Unfortunately for Phillies fans, we’re not getting daily stories about the coming World Series this week. But Philadelphia baseball scribes haven’t simply gone into hiding until February rolls around. Instead, we’re getting a Philadelphia history lesson of sorts from CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
First up, Finger takes a look at the 1911 Philadelphia Athletics led by the legendary Connie Mack. Like all of you, I was not alive in 1911 and like most of you (I’m assuming) my knowledge of the history of the Athletics is quite limited. (I did see some of their elephant-adorned memorabilia in the Hall of Fame up in Cooperstown once.) But I find tales of old school baseball in our city fascinating.
Most people I know think of Connie Mack as the guy who simply had a stadium named after him, but he actually managed for an unbelievable 50 years! Finger asks: For a guy who was such an institution in this city for so many years, why is he not recognized more for it?
Also, one of the parts I found most interesting was Mack’s apparent penchant for penny pinching, “He spent the last two decades of his career achieving solid mediocrity
in the standings and seemingly popularized the practice of the “fire
sale.” Oh yes, even a century ago Mack, also the owner of the A’s,
massaged his player payroll the way clubs do now.”
I wonder how modern day fans in Philadelphia would have reacted to this?
Worth a read, baseball fans.
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages