Oct 17, 2011, 3:53 PM EDT
Unfortunately for Phillies fans, we’re not getting daily stories about the coming World Series this week. But Philadelphia baseball scribes haven’t simply gone into hiding until February rolls around. Instead, we’re getting a Philadelphia history lesson of sorts from CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
First up, Finger takes a look at the 1911 Philadelphia Athletics led by the legendary Connie Mack. Like all of you, I was not alive in 1911 and like most of you (I’m assuming) my knowledge of the history of the Athletics is quite limited. (I did see some of their elephant-adorned memorabilia in the Hall of Fame up in Cooperstown once.) But I find tales of old school baseball in our city fascinating.
Most people I know think of Connie Mack as the guy who simply had a stadium named after him, but he actually managed for an unbelievable 50 years! Finger asks: For a guy who was such an institution in this city for so many years, why is he not recognized more for it?
Also, one of the parts I found most interesting was Mack’s apparent penchant for penny pinching, “He spent the last two decades of his career achieving solid mediocrity
in the standings and seemingly popularized the practice of the “fire
sale.” Oh yes, even a century ago Mack, also the owner of the A’s,
massaged his player payroll the way clubs do now.”
I wonder how modern day fans in Philadelphia would have reacted to this?
Worth a read, baseball fans.
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money