Jun 12, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
When Erik Kratz said he heard a pop in his knee, and it was revealed the injury would require surgery, I just assumed the worst. Thankfully it does not sound like that will be the last call for turkey bacon this season after all.
The Inquirer’s Matt Gelb Tweets that Kratz underwent a successful procedure to repair a torn meniscus on Wednesday morning, and the timetable is not bad all things considered. The slugger could be back in action within six-to-eight weeks, which would easily put him back in a Phillies uniform in time for a playoff push – assuming they’re still in the race by then.
With Carlos Ruiz due to come off of the disabled list soon, Kratz was probably in line to see reduced playing time in the near future anyway. That said, his eight home runs are second on the club, and most for a right-handed hitter. They are missing that power in their lineup right now, and will miss it coming off the bench just as well.
In the absence of Ruiz and Kratz, and with Humberto Quintero needing a day off, 28-year-old Steven Lerud is making his fourth career big league start in Minnesota tonight. Lerud was batting .221 with just five extra base hits in 31 games at Lehigh Valley, albeit with a .383 on-base percentage.
At least the news on Kratz is good, and regardless of where the Phillies are in the standings when it happens, it will be nice to see the big guy back behind the plate this summer.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return